Five Ways to Raise Your Profile
- Tap into Social Networking
- Attend Events
- Become an Industry Expert
- Join a Local Business Group
- Volunteer in Your Community
Networking Do’s and Don’ts:
- Do come with a 30-second “elevator speech” that describes your business.
- Do exchange cards with people that you sincerely want to stay in touch with.
- Do enter events with a smile on your face.
- Do show interest in the person that you are speaking with.
- Do listen more than you talk.
- Do jot notes on the back of each person’s card for a quick reminder for follow-up.
- Do leverage social networking sites to stay connected.
- Don’t just try to collect as many business cards as you can.
- Don’t isolate yourself in a corner or hang out with friends or colleagues you already know.
- Don’t let your mind wander when other people are talking.
- Don’t talk about yourself too much.
- Don’t monopolize the conversation.
- Don’t stuff people’s business cards in your drawer and forget about them.
- Don’t send generic email blasts to everyone your meet.
~ Cyndy Hutchinson • CFO, RDL enterprises